Sunday 27 March 2011

2011 Canadian Federal Election: Twitter Hash Tags

So the Harper government has fallen, and Canadians will go to the polls on 2 May 2011 to vote for a new government. I'm new to this: I'm British-Canadian, but I've spent 24 of my 33 years in the UK. Last October I had my first experience as a voter in Canada, participating in the 2010 St Catharines Municipal Election. The upcoming election will be my first federal vote.

I'm honestly undecided which way to vote. I've followed Canadian politics somewhat since moving back here in 2009, and none of the major political parties has convinced me. But Twitter may be coming to my rescue, as I get talking with some of the candidates, journalists, political pundits and ordinary voters with an interest in the election. The hash tags are confusing me a bit, however, so here, with help from Twitter Search, PoliTwitter and David Akin, I'm going to gather a list of Twitter hash tags to make conversing a bit easier. Hopefully, some other tweeps will find it useful, too.

Glossary of Canadian Politics/2011 Canada Federal Election Twitter Hash Tags

Note: #cdnpoli, #elxn41 and #cv11 are (in my observation) by far the most popular English-language Twitter hash tags for the 2011 Federal Election.

#abc Anyone but Harper
#canpoli Canadian politics
#cdescom French-Canadian political discussion
#cdnleft Canadian left
#cdnpoli Canadian politics
#clsh Conservative leader Stephen Harper
#cpc Conservative Party of Canada
#ctvelexn CTV election coverage
#cv11 Canada vote 2011
#demreform Canadian democratic reform
#elxn41 41st Canadian federal election
#emayin Social media campaign to get Green Party leader Elizabeth May a place in the leadership debate
#fed2011 French-language Canadian election tweets
#gpc Green Party of Canada
#ignatieff Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff
#layton NDP Leader Jack Layton
#lpc Liberal Party of Canada
#momthevote Moms' discussion of family-related election issues (see this blog)
#ndp New Democratic Party of Canada
#p2ca Progressives in Canada
#pmharper Prime Minister Stephen Harper
#pmsh Prime Minister Stephen Harper
#poli politics -- append it to another term to localize it, eg, #niagpoli (Niagara), #canpoli (Canada)
#ppca Pirate Party of Canada
#ptndp New Democrats
#pttory Canadian Tories
#roft Right of Twitter (Canadian Conservative bloggers)
#voteabc Vote anyone but Harper
#votecompass CBC Vote Compass
#votemay2 Vote on May 2nd
#votepirate Vote Pirate Party of Canada

Geographical 2011 Election Hash Tags (Ridings and Regions)

#niagpoli Niagara
#saultelx Sault Ste Marie

Please tweet me or add a comment here if you have a hash tag to add to the glossary.

12 comments:

  1. Please add #fed2011 for federal election discussions in French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan Halasz2 April 2011 at 13:10

    #EmayIn has been trending pretty well! Big social media campaign to get Elizabeth May in the Leaders' debate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jonathan, will add that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pirate Party of Canada has a couple tags as well:
    #votepirate
    #ppca

    ReplyDelete
  5. #EMayIn to add your input on getting Elizabeth May into the televised debates: http://greenparty.ca/debate-action

    ReplyDelete
  6. In relation you may be interested in an recent article that looks at the candidates and their web popularity. It's an interesting look at if this has any correlation to the actual winner of the election.

    http://blog.9thsphere.com/blog/canadas-election-2011-web-popularity-poll

    ReplyDelete
  7. ULT STE. MARIE, Ont. — Michael Ignatieff has smoked pot.

    The Liberal leader faced two questions Wednesday morning from high school students wanting to know what he would do about legalizing marijuana.

    Ignatieff told the students he supports decriminalizing the possession of small amounts so young students are not penalized for a stupid mistake but that he won't legalize weed.

    When asked by a reporter, after his town-hall with the students, whether he had ever had a joint, Ignatieff said: "I have smoked pot as a young man, yes . . . and it's one of the reasons why I urge young people not to repeat the experience. It did not ruin my life. I just think there are a lot more important and interesting things to do with your life, including a glass of wine after dinner.

    "Hey, I mean, let's all relax here."



    sure nice work go see students that dont event vote tell them better not be a pot head but be an alchoolic instead

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what kind of marketing company the government would need to put something like this into place. I could see an IP address tracker looking not so friendly, at least from an American's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I real pleased to find this site on bing, just what I was looking for : D too saved to bookmarks . visit this site

    ReplyDelete